Ecuador Agriculture Sector Report 2020/2021An EMIS Insights Industry Report
EMIS is an ISI Emerging Markets Group Company Date: April 2020
Available in: English
Agriculture plays a major socio-economic role in Ecuador, accounting for 9.2% of the country’s GDP and 28.3% of formal employment in 2018. During the year, it was also one of the driving forces of the economy, as its GVA expanded by 3.2% y/y, outperforming the overall GDP growth of 1.4%. The sector is particularly important in terms of foreign currency generation, accounting for 41.2% of Ecuador’s total exports and generating a trade surplus of USD 8bn in 2018. Nevertheless, the country’s agriculture remains highly dependent on bananas and shrimp, which accounted for an overwhelming share of 72.7% of the sector's exports and 29.9% of total national exports in 2018. As a result, Ecuador is highly vulnerable to volatilities in global demand for bananas and shrimp and their international prices, as well as to phytosanitary problems or adverse weather conditions.
This report provides a complete and detailed analysis of the agriculture sector for Ecuador. EMIS Insights presents in-depth business intelligence in a standard format across countries and regions, providing a balanced mix between analysis and data.
What this report allows you to do:
- Understand the key elements at play in the agriculture sector in Ecuador
- Access forecasts for growth in the sector
- Crystallise the forces both driving and restraining this sector in Ecuador
- Gain insight into land and climate issues
- Ascertain Ecuador’s position in the global sector
- Build a complete perspective on sector trade, investment and employment
- Understand the competitive landscape and who the major players are
- View M&A activity and major deals
- Gain an understanding of the regulatory environment for the sector in Ecuador
- Build a clear picture of trends, production and consumption for specific sub-sectors (e.g. grains, vegetables and livestock farming).
See below for a complete table of report contents: